Editor’s be aware: This story was initially revealed in January 2020.
Coated with moss and lichen, a stone throne sits in the course of the woods. Surrounded by tall evergreens, this man-made construction appears misplaced. It’s mysterious but welcoming. Sit down, it says. Keep some time.
In-built 1912 by Ernest Thompson Stetson, one of many founders of the Boy Scouts of America, the stone throne is among the many rock monuments discovered within the woods of the Good Will-Hinckley campus in Fairfield. It’s a chief instance of the various historic stone buildings which are visited by trails in Maine.
Stone partitions, foundations, towers, bridges — even thrones — are littered all through the forest. Every has a narrative. Some are accompanied by plaques or literature that may let you know when and why they had been constructed. However most of those rock monuments are up for interpretation, their origins lengthy forgotten as they slowly crumble.
These rock monuments are highlights of many public path networks all through the state. Listed here are only a few.
Good Will-Hinckley Trails in Fairfield
Simple to reasonable
The development of the Good Will-Hinckley Trails had been began within the early 1900s by George Walter Hinckley, founding father of Good Will-Hinckley Properties for Boys and Women. Weaving by means of the forest and fields of Fairfield, the paths had been for the kids dwelling on the property, in addition to guests.
In the present day, the paths within the community whole greater than 3 miles and go to a number of historic stone monuments, that are marked on a path map and described in a brochure. These monuments embody Stetson’s stone throne, and a stone monument inbuilt 1921 in honor of Theodore Roosevelt that features a stone from the Roosevelt property on Lengthy Island, New York.
The path community additionally options the Granite Home, a stone and log cabin constructed by Charles D. Hubbard for the exhibition of Maine granites, and the Dawn Fire, a stone fire inbuilt 1933 in the course of the forest.
The paths are open to walkers and leashed canine. Entry is free. For extra data, go to gwh.org/lcbates or name 207-238-4350.
Instructions: The path community is positioned on the Good Will-Hinckley campus, off Route 201 in Fairfield. Beginning on the intersection of routes 23 and 201 close to the Hinckley Boat Launch in Fairfield, drive south on Route 201 for about 1.6 mile, then flip proper onto Easler Highway, proper after the massive signal for the L.C.Bates Museum. Drive lower than 0.1 mile and park within the small car parking zone for the museum, which will likely be in your proper. The path community begins on the opposite aspect of Easler Highway and is marked by a big trailhead kiosk displaying a map.
Mount Battie in Camden
Simple to Reasonable
Situated in Camden Hills State Park, Mount Battie affords some of the stunning views of the Maine coast, and it stands simply 800 toes above sea degree. At its summit stands a spherical, stone tower that was devoted in 1921 to the women and men of Camden who served in World Conflict I. Guests are welcome to take a seat on a stone bench contained in the tower and climb a brief staircase to its prime, which is open to the sky and surrounded by parapet.
Additionally on the prime of Mount Battie is a plaque displaying “Renascence,” a poem by Pulitzer Prize-winner Edna St. Vincent Millay (1892-1950). Millay was born in Rockland and sometimes wrote whereas sitting on the mountain’s summit.
Camden Hills State Park is one among Maine’s busiest parks within the winter, with many trails open to snowshoers and skiers. The park is open every day from 9 a.m. to sundown, until in any other case signed on the gate. From Nov. 1 to Could 1, the 0.9-mile Mount Battie Highway, which ends up in the highest of Mount Battie, could also be closed as a result of climate and staffing. It is a nice time to hike up the highway reasonably than use the tougher mountaineering trails to climb the mountain.
The 0.5-mile Mount Battie path travels up the south aspect of the mountain and is steep and rocky in a number of areas. You can too hike Mount Battie from its north aspect utilizing the extra gradual Megunticook, Nature and Tablelands trails, which collectively whole 2.7 miles.
Canine are permitted however have to be leashed always. Park admission is $4 for Maine residents and $6 for non-residents, with reductions for seniors (free for Maine residents who’re 65 and older, and $2 for non-residents who’re 65 and older) and youngsters ($1 for kids 5 to 11 years outdated, and free for kids beneath 5). For extra data, name 207-236-3109 (in season) or 207-236-0849 (off season) or go to maine.gov/camdenhills.
Instructions: To hike Mount Battie Highway or the paths on the north aspect of the mountain, begin on the intersection of routes 1 and 52 in Camden. Drive north on Route 1 for about 1.5 mile, then flip left on the entrance to Camden Hills State Park. Park within the day-use parking space. To hike Mount Battie Path on the south aspect of the mountain, begin on the intersection of routes 1 and 52 in downtown Camden, then drive on Route 52 about 300 toes. Flip proper and drive 0.3 mile to Spring Avenue. Cross the road to Megunticook Avenue Extension and drive about 0.1 mile to the trailhead-parking space on the finish of the road.
Vaughan Woods in Hallowell
Simple to reasonable
Protecting 197 acres within the city of Hallowell, Vaughan Woods has lengthy been recognized for its pure magnificence and interesting historical past. Owned and maintained by the Vaughan Woods & Historic Homestead, with an easement held by the Kennebec Land Belief, the property is dwelling to a community of greater than 2 miles of trails that go to small waterfalls and historic stone bridges.
On the Nationwide Register of Historic Locations, the property was as soon as owned by the Plymouth Colony, which patented the property to facilitate commerce with native Abenaki Indians. As commerce decreased, the land was offered in 1661 to Benjamin Hallowell, a distinguished Boston investor, and the land was later settled by his grandson Charles Vaughan in 1791. Charles’ older brother, Benjamin Vaughan (who was acquainted with Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson), reworked the property into an agricultural showplace, drawing many well-known guests to the homestead, together with John James Audubon and Daniel Webster.
The paths are open to the general public from daybreak till nightfall, yr spherical. Entry is free. Canine are permitted however have to be leashed always. For extra data, name 207-622-9831 or go to vaughanhomestead.org.
Instructions: The woods has two parking areas. The most important parking space is behind Corridor-Dale Excessive Faculty at 97 Maple St. in Farmingdale, however this car parking zone is simply open to path customers when faculty shouldn’t be in session. From the varsity car parking zone, the trailhead is on the west aspect of the tennis courts. The opposite parking space is out there on the nook of Litchfield Highway and Center Avenue. Park solely within the designated parking space, not alongside the highway. The trailhead is to the left of the informational kiosk.
This story was initially revealed in Bangor Metro’s December 2019 situation.